Control Systems Lab Guidelines
Dan Block, Control Systems Lab Manager
ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD OR DRINK IN THE LAB. If you have something, please
leave it on one of the desks in the center of the room.
- No equipment or manuals can be removed from the lab. If any item is found
missing, the 24 hour access privilege will be revoked from all students.
- Station Shutdown Procedure:
- Turn off amplifier and power supply using ON/OFF switches on front panel.
- Shut off other equipment used during lab session.
- Shut down Windows.
- Put all cables, etc. away (Neatly!).
- Shut off bench power (the toggle switch lights up when power is off).
Do not "hot wire" equipment. When connecting cables to the amplifier, motor,
potentiometer, power supplies, etc., make sure that equipment is powered
off. After finishing your wiring, turn on the components you need. If you made a
mistake in the wiring, turn off the unit before rewiring!
- Do not pull out banana plug cables by their wire. Pull the cables out by
gripping onto their connectors and gently pulling them out. (I don't fix cables
for a living!)
- If you find any equipment or software problems, and you don't find myself or
any TA's around, please put a note on them and send an e-mail to your TA or myself.
At least two people must be in the lab at all times. This is a safety measure
for when you are working outside of lab hours.
- Notes on the DC Motor Amplifier (this amplifier is not used until Lab 4):
- Do not use the oscilloscope to measure the voltage across Motor+ and Motor-. Grounding problems arise. Use the DMM if you want to see the voltage applied to the Motor.
- If the amplifier POWER ON LED starts blinking on and off, you have likely made a wiring mistake. Quickly turn off power to the amplifier and check your wiring.
- Do not connect SIG GND of the amplifier input to POWER GND of the amplifier output. These grounds need to be isolated.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact me in room 3005 ECEB. My phone number is 244-8573. You can also send me your suggestions (
Control Systems Lab Manager