Project

# Title Team Members TA Documents Sponsor
50 Home Energy Administration Tool
Edward Choi
Jae Min Song
Jee Haeng Yoo
Nicholas Ratajczyk appendix
final_paper
presentation
proposal
How much do you pay for the electricity at home? Have you ever thought of saving energy? But do you even know how much energy is consumed by each appliance?

In order to spend electricity efficiently, I came up with the idea of developing an administrative tool that not only controls the power, but also keeps track of each device's energy consumption. I am trying to implement this on simplified house model for this project. The tool will enable user to (1) remote control power at home on web application using smartphone and (2) monitor detailed information- time, amount, and usage pattern- on energy consumption of electronics or lighting at home through charts- also on the web application. I expect this tool to allow people to be aware of their spending and to cut down electricity bill.

I am planning to construct a house model with snap-in receptacles so that I can plug in actual electronic devices that use 120V AC. I would also need components to measure power dissipation of each receptacle.

There will be a designed PCB that runs all components in the house model. PCB will also include esp32- this allows hosting a web server- and a micro-controller to display information on web server so that it allows user to remote control power and monitor energy consumption.

Propeller-less Multi-rotor

Ignacio Aguirre Panadero, Bree Peng, Leo Yamamae

Propeller-less Multi-rotor

Featured Project

Our project explored the every-expanding field of drones. We wanted to solve a problem with the dangers of plastic propellers as well as explore new method of propulsion for drones.

Our design uses a centrifugal fan design inspired by Samm Shepard's "This is NOT a Propeller" video where he created a centrifugal fan for a radio controlled plane. We were able to design a fan that has a peak output of 550g per fan that is safe when crashing and when the impeller inside damaged.

The chassis and fans are made of laser-cut polystyrene and is powered using brushless motors typically used for radio-controlled helicopters.

The drone uses an Arduino DUE with a custom shield and a PCB to control the system via Electronic Speed Controllers. The drone also has a feedback loop that will try to level the drone using a MPU6050.

We were able to prove that this method of drone propulsion is possible and is safer than using hard plastic propellers.

Project Videos