Project

# Title Team Members TA Documents Sponsor
50 Home Energy Administration Tool
Edward Choi
Jae Min Song
Jee Haeng Yoo
Nicholas Ratajczyk appendix
final_paper
presentation
proposal
How much do you pay for the electricity at home? Have you ever thought of saving energy? But do you even know how much energy is consumed by each appliance?

In order to spend electricity efficiently, I came up with the idea of developing an administrative tool that not only controls the power, but also keeps track of each device's energy consumption. I am trying to implement this on simplified house model for this project. The tool will enable user to (1) remote control power at home on web application using smartphone and (2) monitor detailed information- time, amount, and usage pattern- on energy consumption of electronics or lighting at home through charts- also on the web application. I expect this tool to allow people to be aware of their spending and to cut down electricity bill.

I am planning to construct a house model with snap-in receptacles so that I can plug in actual electronic devices that use 120V AC. I would also need components to measure power dissipation of each receptacle.

There will be a designed PCB that runs all components in the house model. PCB will also include esp32- this allows hosting a web server- and a micro-controller to display information on web server so that it allows user to remote control power and monitor energy consumption.

Amphibious Spherical Explorer

Kaiwen Chen, Junhao Su, Zhong Tan

Amphibious Spherical Explorer

Featured Project

The amphibious spherical explorer (ASE) is a spherical robot for home monitoring, outdoor adventure or hazardous environment surveillance. Due to the unique shape of the robot, ASE can travel across land, dessert, swamp or even water by itself, or be casted by other devices (e.g. slingshot) to the mission area. ASE has a motion-sensing system based on Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and rotary magnetic encoder, which allows the internal controller to adjust its speed and attitude properly. The well-designed control system makes the robot free of visible wobbliness when it is taking actions like acceleration, deceleration, turning and rest. ASE is also a platform for research on control system design. The parameters of the internal controller can be assigned by an external control panel in computer based on MATLAB Graphic User Interface (GUI) which communicates with the robot via a WiFi network generated by the robot. The response of the robot can be recorded and sent back to the control panel for further analysis. This project is completely open-sourced. People who are interested in the robot can continue this project for more interesting features, such as adding camera for real-time surveillance, or controller design based on machine learning.

Project Videos