MP2 Extra Credit
Extra credit is worth up to 10%. The rules are as follows:
- You have to work together in groups of at least two. There is no maximum; you can all work in one big group if you wish.
- Each person should submit their own part.
- You can do the recommended extra credit assignment, or you can do something else that you invent. If you invent something else, please check with me.
Recommended extra credit assignment:
- Each person should choose an instrument they like from Iowa Electronic Music Studio (you can use other sources if you wish. The code will probably work if your source contains any song played solo, by one instrument, i.e., only one note audible at a time, with no other sounds). Download the AIFF file, and convert it to WAV, e.g., using ffmpeg or something like that.
- Working together, choose a song you would like to synthesize. Write the song in the MP's score.txt format, and then divide it into chunks -- one chunk for each partner. Each chunk should be at least five notes long.
- Each partner should analyze their own instrument, and then use that instrument to resynthesize their part of the song. Note: it's OK to move the music up or down an octave, if necessary, to get all the notes you need.
- Combine all of the wave files into one wave file, using ffmpeg or sox or Praat or something.
What to submit: EACH PERSON should submit a zip file, containing the following:
- The WAV file that you analyzed.
- A file "everybody.txt" that contains the score for the whole song.
- A file "mypart.txt" that contains your part of the score.
- A file "mypart.wav" that contains the part you resynthesized.
- A file "everybody.wav" that contains all of the waveforms, concatenated together to make the song.
- A file "team.txt", specifying who was in your team.