The following are emails that will clarify some homework and quiz questions:

Email #1

Good day everyone,

I would like to clarify some information regarding the course, homework and quizzes in particular.

The course syllabus is correct on the grading scheme for the course. Your final grade will be computed from 2 midterm exams, one final exam, and the in class quizzes. Homework is assigned throughout the sememster. Homework will not be collect or graded. ​While homework is mandatory for the course, we will not check to ensure that you did it; at no time during the semester will I or the professors require you to submit your homework to us. Each homework assignment will have a due date but you do not have to turn in your work, the due date is really just a reminder that a quiz will be given on that material in class on that due date.

Quizzes are a direct reflection of the homework; in other words, the concepts covered on a particular weekly homework set will be on covered on the quiz for that week. Since homework is not collected, some may opt to not do the homework. Doing the homework is the best way to do well on the quizzes. Here is my first tip to success in the course... Do the homework. ​

Your first quiz will be this Thursday, January 26, 2017. There will be lecture on that day. During the last part of the class, 20-25 minutes at the professors discression, I will hand out the quizzes; and you are free to leave when you are finished.

To be successful on the quiz you should:

1. ​Show your work; you will not be given full credit for just writing down the answer.
  2. ​Include units. 1056.24 is not an answer it is a number. You will lose points for missing units.
  3. ​Highlight your answer, put a circle or a box around it.
  4. ​If you need to use the back of the page, write something like "See Back of page" on the front.
  5. ​Bring your calculator. Calculators are allowed on all quizzes and exams. 

I have had questions in the past about how many decimal places to use. Everyone in this class has had both Physics and Chemistry; use the sigfig rules you learned in those sciences. Another question is about the form of the answer; if the answer is correct, polar(rads or degs) or rectangular form is acceptable. In other words, we will accept all forms of the correct answer.

In the past, the course director, Prof. Sauer, has stiuplated that we (professors and TAs) do not answer questions during the quizzes or exams. The quizzes and exams are clear in their content; there is no ambiguity in them. If you have a question you should answer it yourself via assumptions, write down the assumptions that you have made, and proceed to complete the problem based on those assumptions. e.g.  A line voltage of 480 volt supplies a 1.05+j.88 ohm load...etc... You wonder is 480 V line to line or V line to neutral... You should choose one and write down your assumption, "Assuming 480 is VLL then..."  But, I must reiterate, there is no ambiguity here, in power systems, if such a voltage is given, it is always VLL not VLN unless otherwise noted.

Makeup quizzes:
​Each student can make up a maximum of two quizzes. If you need to make up a quiz, you need to email me immediately so I can schedule a time for you to take the makeup. You must make up the a quiz no more than 7 days (1 week) later then when the quiz was given in class. I schedule the makeup quizzes, there is no need to discuss this with your professor you may come directly to me.

​In summary:

​I hope this email clarifies any remaining questions about the homework and quizzes. I you have any futher questions please email me.

Best regards,

Melvin Stevens
​ECE 330 TA - Spring 2017

Email #2

ECE 330 is one big course with two different sections (classes) and professors. You are allow to attend the other section as in addition to or rather than the section in which you are registered. All material will be covered in each section.

You are allowed to take quizzes during the other section of the class. So if you are registered for the 9:30 am section you may take your quiz during the 2:00 pm class or vice versa. This rule holds as long as too many people don’t show up for any one section; the room can only accommodate a so many students. If it occurs that too many are showing up to any one section, I will ask that you take the quiz in your registered section.

Solutions to the homework will be posted after the quiz is given in class. If you need to know if your solutions are correct you should attend office hours. If you need immediate feedback or help, you can email me. I may ask that you take a photo of your work and send it to me so that I can maximize my efforts in providing feedback and assisting you.

Makeup quizes are only given for valid reasons; if you are not sure you have a valid reason, please discuss your reason with one of the Professsors or me ASAP. I have the authority to allow you all to makeup quizzes. I do not have authority to allow you to take conflict or makeup exams; for conflict or makeup exams, you must get approval from your professor.

One final point…
-----
ECE 330 Meeting times
The sections of ECE 330 meet at 9:30 am  and 2:00 pm on TR. The doors in the classrooms are very loud and distracting. It is somewhat disruptive to have the doors constantly opening and closing up to twenty minutes into a eighty minute session. If you plan to attend class, please try to be on time.

Thank you for your consideration of others in the class.
​-----

Melvin Stevens
ECE 330 TA - Spring 2017