Midterm exams (3 of them) will last exactly 50 minutes. Each midterm exam will contain approximately 10 short-answer problems, but may deviate from that number to adjust the average time for completion. The final exam will last 3 hours and contain approximately 30 Prarie-Learn style short answer and/or multiple-choice problems. To each exam, including the final, you may bring:
- One sheet of notes (standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper, two-sided is okay). This sheet of paper will be collected by the facility proctor along with any scratch paper you use. If you don't want to lose your help sheet, you should make a copy of it before the exam.
- One or more pencils for solving problems in an exam booklet.
- A straight-edge if you feel you may have trouble reading a graph
You may not bring a calculator or any other electronic device.
You may use the online computer calculator, MATLAB, or Excel.
You may also gain some practice for working without a calculator in this WORKSHEET.
Internet access is neither available nor allowed.
How to Study for Midterm Exams
Midterm Exams are self-scheduled then taken between the dates made available. Your allotted time is 50 minutes. The exams will cover the learning objectives from the Lectures and Homework Assignments as described by your instructors. See the course announcements for more detailed information. To study for Midterms, we recommend the following:
- Complete and review all homework assignments with due dates prior to the exam.
- Review Lecture material (slides) and the course notes (online). See the "worked examples" there as well.
- Work through old exams below. Be aware that material was distributed differently in the past and the coverage material has changed somewhat. Study problems that are associated with current learning objectives.
- Work through practice exams made available through PrairieLearn. Multiple instances may be generated. Login to https://prairielearn.engr.illinois.edu/.
- Attend the review Session from Eta Kappa Nu, generally held in 1002 ECEB. The materials from those sessions will be shared when available.
- Visit office hours of your favorite instructor or course aide to get additional help.
Second-Chance Testing (Retake Exams)
Second-Chance Testing (retake) may be available, approximately one week after the exam was originally given.
Past Exams (for practice material)
- Exam1 addons Spring2016
- Exam1 Spring 2016 A
- Exam1 Spring 2016 answers
- Exam1 Spring 2016 Solutions
- Exam 1 Fall 2013
- Exam 1 Fall 2013 Solutions
- Exam 1 Fall 2014
- Exam 1 Fall 2014 Solutions
- Exam 1 Fall 2015
- Exam 1 Fall 2015 Solutions
- Exam 1 Spring 2015
- Exam 1 Spring 2015 Solutions
- Exam 2 Fall 2014
- Exam 2 Fall 2014 Solutions
- Exam 2 Fall 2015 A
- Exam 2 Fall 2015 A Solutions
- Exam 2 Fall 2015 E
- Exam 2 Fall 2015 E Solutions
- Exam 2 Spring 2015
- Exam 2 Spring 2015 Solutions
- Exam 2 Spring 2016 A
- Exam 2 Spring 2016 Answers
- Exam 2 Spring 2016 D
- Exam 2 Spring 2016 Solutions
- Practice Exam 2 Fall 2014
- Practice Exam 2 Fall 2014 Solutions
- Worksheet 1 BJTs Fall 2015
- Worksheet 1 BJTs Fall 2015 Solutions
- Worksheet 2 BJTs Fall 2015
- Worksheet 2 BJTs Fall 2015 Solutions
Our final exam is scheduled here (not yet available).
- Final Exam Fall 2014 (ignore problems 27, 31, 33-36)
- Final Exam Fall 2014 Solutions
- Final Exam Fall 2015
- Final Exam Fall 2015 answers
- Final Exam Spring 2015
- Final Exam Spring 2015 Solutions
- Practice Final Exam Fall 2014 (ignore problems 24-26, 39-42)
- Practice Final Exam Fall 2014 Solutions
- Practice Final Exam Spring 2015
- Practice Final Exam Spring 2015 Solutions
- REVIEW Final Exam Spring 2016
- Supplementary Practice Fall 2014
- Supplementary Practice Fall 2014 Solutions