CS 598 TMC, Fall 2023

Presentation and Project Guidelines

Presentation

Date: Nov 29 or Dec 1 or Dec 6 (i.e., during the last 3 classes)

Present one paper (15 minutes if working alone, or 20 minutes if working in a group of 2, or 25 minutes if in a group of 3 -- every member of the group should participate). The format is similar to a conference talk. Spend sufficient time on the introduction (problem statement, background and survey of previous or related results, statement of the new results). Then describe the main ideas behind the new data structures in the paper. You may not have time to cover all results in the paper, or go into all the technical details; pick the part(s) you find most interesting or enjoyable for the audience. Point out connection (if any) with techniques we have seen from class. Close with open questions (from the paper, or ones you think of yourself).

Project

Deadline: Dec 13 Wednesday 5pm

Write a report (about 10 pages (single-column, single-spaced) if working alone, or about 15 pages if working in a group of 2, or about 20 pages if in a group of 3), comparing 2 or more papers on a common topic about data structures. One of the papers may be the paper you used for your presentation.

Begin with an introduction of the problem and a general survey. Then describe the new data structures in your selected papers. You do not need to explain all the technical details (especially if they are complicated). Present your own (hopefully easier-to-understand) interpretation, in your own words (do not copy or just paraphrase the descriptions from the papers). Point out similarities and differences between the papers, and their strengths and weaknesses. Point out connections (if any) with techniques from class. Close with open questions, as well as your thoughts on future work and any ideas you may have regarding possible further improvements.

Alternative option: do original research! (The format of the report would be more flexible, depending on what new results you get. If you do not succeed in solving an open problem, you may fall back to writing a general survey, and/or describe your failed attempts, partial results, etc. Feel free to discuss with me...)

Another alternative option: implement some data structures for a problem, and report on your experimental results/comparisons.

(Short) "Proposal"

Deadline: before Nov 13

Let me know what topic and papers you choose for the presentation and project before Nov 13 at the latest, so that I may provide suggestions and confirm that your choice is within scope for this course (and does not substantially overlap with other students'). A short email to me ("tmc"), in one or two paragraphs, should suffice. (And if you decide to change your choice after Nov 13, just let me know.)

Tips

Some Examples

Below is a random list of examples. You are encouraged to find a topic/papers on your own. Feel free to ask me for advice (during my office hours or by appointment).