section on MPs is only for 4 credit students (on-campus or online) who are NOT MCS-DS. (3
credit students or MCS-DS are welcome to do
but we will not be able to grade or evaluate them or treat them as
Machine Problems (MPs) will be posted here. There will be three to four
MPs. Unless otherwise stated, you should work on your MP in groups of 2.
You can discuss concepts and clarifications of the MPs with other
students and the course staff, but all solutions, code, and ideas must
remain within the group.
If you are a 4 credit on-campus/online student: By Thursday 9/5 @ 5 pm, you must let us know what group you are in. To do so, please do
BOTH of the following (ONCE each):
- Fill out the form [at this link] (before you click, please ensure you are already logged in via Google Apps @ Illinois), and
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
with subject line "CS 425 MP Group" stating the members in your group.
- Any corrections will appear in red font in MP document. Please refresh (and check Piazza) often!
- [MP1 Specification Document]:
Released 8/27. Due @ 9/15 11.59 PM US
Central Time. Demos on 9/16.
- Notes: None.
- Recommended Solutions (from Student Submissions), released 9/24: Go C++ Java Python
- [MP2 Specification Document]: Released 9/17. Due @ 10/6 11.59 PM US
Central Time. Demos on 10/7.
- Notes: None.
- Recommended Solutions (from Student Submissions), released 10/14: Go C++ Java Python Rust
- [MP3 Specification Document]: Released 10/17. Due @ 11/3 11.59 PM US
Central Time. Demos on 11/4.
- Notes: None.
- Recommended Solutions (from Student Submissions), released 11/12: Go C++ Java Python Rust
- [MP4 Specification Document]: Released 11/7. Due @ 12/8 11.59 PM US
Central Time. Demos on 12/9.
- This section on HWs is for ALL students (on-campus, online, MCS-DS, all credit levels).
- Homework assignments (HWs) will be posted here. There will
four to five HWs, and they will be handed out (approximately)
bi-weekly. We will stagger HW deadlines so that they do not clash with
- ALL Students (on-campus, online, MCS-DS) must do all HWs
For HWs, you must submit solutions that are typed. Figures may be drawn by hand. Handwritten solutions
will be returned without being graded. For each homework, please
make sure each new problem solution starts on a fresh page, and
that your name appears at the top of each page. Homeworks
are due at the start of the lecture on the due-date, for both MCS (online) and on-campus students (no excuses).
- All students (on-campus and MCS Online via Coursera) must submit their HWs on Gradescope.com (we will reach out to waiting students on how to enroll on Gradescope).
- We will not accept emailed solutions or printed solutions.
You must work on all homeworks individually.
You can discuss concepts and clarifications of questions
with other students and the course staff.
Unless otherwise specified, the only resources you can
avail of in your
HWs are the provided course materials (slides, textbooks, etc.), and
communication with instructor/TA via the forum, e-mail, and office hours.
- Any major corrections will appear in red font in HW document. Please refresh!
- [HW1 Document]: Released 8/27. Due @ 9/24 Start of Lecture (2 pm Central). [HW1 Solutions] (Released 9/29)
- Notes: 1. (9/9) Q5: k is the membership list size at each process.
- [HW2 Document]: Released 9/24. Due @ 10/10 Start of Lecture (2 pm Central). [HW2 Solutions] (Released 10/11)
- Notes: (9/29) Small correction in Q10.
- [HW3 Document]: Released 10/17. Due @ 11/12 Start of Lecture (2 pm Central). [HW3 Solutions] (Released 11/15)
- [HW4 Document]: Released 11/12. Due @ 12/5 Start of Lecture (2 pm Central). [HW4 Solutions] (Released 12/10)
- Notes: (11/13) Q9 - only one advantage each, no need to list disadvantages.
- ALL Students (on-campus, online, MCS-DS) must take both
Midterm and Final Exams. If you are off-campus (MCS Online or MCS DS only) you will need to use a proctor.
- Midterm Exam around the middle of the semester. See Course schedule (Lectures) for a tentative date. It
closed-book, closed notes. Calculators
ok. NO cheatsheets or cellphones or other devices allowed.
Final Exam is at the end of the semester. The schedule is decided by
campus, so please don't ask course staff for dates. When campus posts
it, we will post it on the course website. Please do not contact us to find out or change final exam date.
- Makeup/Conflict exams: If you need a makeup exam, please contact Indy at least 2 weeks before the posted exam date (midterm/final). Conflict exams are not given for routine reasons (includes interviews, trips, conflicts with other classes, etc.). Conflict request is approved only upon a positive ack from Indy. Indy's decision is final on each case.
- [Practice Midterm] Released Oct 1. We will not release solutions (but feel free to use Piazza to discuss solutions for the practice midterm (only)).
- [Midterm Solutions]. Released 10/17.
- This section on regrading policy is for ALL students.
- All regrade requests must be submitted back within 1 week of the graded HW/MP being returned. Regrade requests must be submitting in the same system as the original HW was submitted in (Gradescope or Coursera). Be sure to clearly indicate the reason for the
- Regrade requests submitted after one week of the HW/MP
being returned will not be regraded.
- All regrading decisions will be final (i.e., no
regrade requests on regrades).