CS 421: Programming Languages and Compilers
News for Fall 2013
  • 12/17/13 - As a reminder, and at the request of some anonymous poster on Piazza, those who might forget despite several announcements in class, NO NOTE CARDS WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE FINAL - ELG
  • 12/16/13 - I will have an office hour Monday Dec 16 at 10:30am - 11:30am, Andrei will have one at 11:30am - 12:30pm, Jicong will have one at 2:30pm - 3:30pm and Yodsawalai will have one at 4:30pm. - ELG
  • 12/3/13 - There will be an opportunity for students to do a redo of problem 2 from Midterm 2 for those wishing to try to improve their score on that problem. The redo test will take place on Tuesday 10 December for the last twenty minutes of class. There will be four different copies of the test, each with just one problem, which, in each case, will be a portion (typically one problem) from MP6 or MP7. The test will take place in SC1404, our regular classroom. There will not be assigned seating or every-other seating. No crib sheets or other material will be allowed. Once the tests are handed out, there will be no swapping of tests or seats allowed. All tests handed out must be turned back in. When a student turns in the retake, they may ask to have it ignored. If they request to have it graded, it will replace their previous score (for better or worse). To get credit for the problem, in addition to giving code, you must place comments in you code indicating how your code solves the problem. Your comments will count as part of your answer and be graded, too. Comments indicating no understanding of the given code will result in a 0 on the problem. - ELG
  • 10/18/13 - After having struggled through the unrelenting tsunami in the bay of EWS, we now venture in waters uncharted by cs421. I am giving up on using EWS for the collection of assignments, and strongly advising all students to install ocaml version 4.00.1 on their personal machines to avoid needing to do any work on EWS. You can get binaries from http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/release-prev.en.html. So, now we enter the waters of svn. I don't expect smooth sailing here either, particularly since we are not alone in seeking safe passage here, but we can hope. For the rest of the semester (or until svn breaks, which ever comes first), please follow the instructions at the main mps wepage. Without the aid of handin, you will have to be responsible for placing the needed files in the appropriate places in your assignments directory and remembering to do a commit on them. Also, you will have the responsibility of making sure that your mp solutions compile with the distributed grader. If they do not, you will receive no credit for the assignment. - ELG
  • 10/16/13 - I have reposted mp7grader.tar.gz to be compatible with OCaml 4.00.1 (it is not compatible with 4.01) - AS
  • 10/15/13 - A revision to mp6.pdf has been posted to correct the error or a bad pull from mp6common.ml - ELG
  • 9/24/13 - The office hour on 9/24/13, Tuesday from 13:00 - 14:00 is going to be held by Elsa Gunter in 2112 SC - AS
  • 9/22/13 - I have reposted mp4grader.tar.gz to add the missing test for Problem 4. - AS
  • 9/19/13 - I have reposted mp4.pdf and mp4grader.tar.gz to fix the issue with partial evaluation in Problem 3. - AS
  • 9/18/13 - I have reposted mp4.pdf and mp4grader.tar.gz to fix the sample result and the grader for Problem 4. - AS
  • 9/16/13 - Because of the ongoing flakiness of the EWS Linux systems (actually its the file server) and the fact that Engineering IT is unsure that they can bound how long the problem will persist, I am granting a 24 hour extension for each of HW3 and MP3. This will not effect the handing times of the next round of assignments. We will have to wait and see if the round of fixes IT plans for tonight improves the situation. I will have to reassess if the problems persist. - ELG
  • 9/15/13 - I have reposted mp3grader.tar.gz to add one more test for problem 5 to check that your code is adquately polymorphic. - YC
  • 9/14/13 - mp3grader.tar.gz has been reposted to fix a bug in a grader. - YC
  • 9/11/13 - hw3 has been posted a day late. I decided at the last minute to simplify the problem and reduce the amount of writing required. If anybody feels the loss of a day is a hardship, they may voice there case to me, and I will consider it. - ELG
  • 9/11/13 - mp3grader.tar.gz has been reposted to fix mp3-skeleton.ml - YC
  • 9/5/13 - mp2grader.tar.gz has been reposted to correct function declaration in mp2-skeleton.ml and add a test for extra credit problem. - YC
  • 9/1/13 - I have reposted mp1grader.tar.gz to add two tests to check that your code is adquately polymorphic. The full test suite will be an extension of this one, and this one will be used for handin from here out. - ELG
  • 9/1/13 - There will be no office hours held on Monday, September 2, Labor Day. - ELG
  • 9/1/13 - Jicong's office hour for Wednesday will be permanently moved to 1:00 pm - 1:50 pm - JW
  • 8/28/13 - I have reposted HW1 to correct the due date to Tuesday September 3, 2013. - ELG
  • 8/27/13 - HW1 and MP1 have both been posted and are due in one week. In general, each Tuesday a new MP and a new HW will be posted due the following week. They will not be announced here unlees there is something unusual about them. - ELG
  • 8/27/13 - Jicong's office hour for tomorrow(8/28) will be temporarily moved to 1:00 pm - 1:50 pm - JW
  • 8/27/13 - Welcome to CS421, Fall 2013. This page will be the main bulletin board for the course, and hence is always under construction. Please check it frequently. - ELG
  • README
    Objectives
    Contacting Staff
    Submitting Assignments
    Extensions
    Regrade Policy
    Collaboration
    Grading
    Textbooks
    FAQ

Class Schedule
    Lecture:
    Tues, Thurs 2:00pm - 3:15pm
    1404 SC

Staff
    Professor
    Elsa Gunter
    Email: egunter@illinois.edu
    Office: 2112 SC
    Phone: 265-6118
    Hours: Tues 3:30pm - 4:45 pm, Thurs 3:30pm - 4:20pm
    Also by appointment

Teaching Assistants
    Yodsawalai Chodpathumwan
    Email: ychodpa2@illinois.edu
    Office: 0207 SC
    Hours: Thur 1:00pm - 1:50pm. Fri 9:00am - 9:50am

Andrei Stefanescu
    Email: stefane1@illinois.edu
    Office: 0207 SC
    Hours: Mon 1:30pm - 2:20pm, Tue 1:00pm - 1:50pm

Jicong Wang
    Email: wang220@illinois.edu
    Office: 0207 SC
    Hours: Wed 1:00 pm - 1:50 pm, Fri 11:00 am - 11:50 am